Saturday, September 02, 2006

I was in downtown Houston yesterday and while I was getting lost I thought I saw my brother. I’m not sure I mentioned him before. He and his wife stayed with me a few years back. He has schizoaffective disorder. Schizoaffective disorder presents with both schizophrenia and bipolar disorder symptoms. While at my place he was self medicating for his hallucinations. I lost touch when they moved out. I got a call later that his wife was on a crime spree with some guy and they had my brothers SS and DL. I was at a traffic light trying to get my bearings and I saw this guy crossing the street. He looked like my brother but with a beard and a hat on. He was carrying the same bags I saw my brother with, a green army duffle and a blue duffle. He was shuffling across the intersection, muttering to himself and making hand gestures. I was staring at him and I think he saw me because he made a strange hand motion at me. He looked absent and I couldn’t tell if he knew me or not. I couldn’t do anything but go to my appointment. I asked the doctor if there was a way I might be able to track him down if he was homeless. She said that the longer he’s not treated, the less affective that treatment could be. I hate that he may be down there with no one to help him, he may not even know who he is now.

No comments: